Underpinning the work of the Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek (DDB) is a competence network: participating cultural and scientific institutions, supported by federal, state and local authorities, exchange information and contribute their combined experience to the joint task of expanding the DDB.
Bodies within the competence network include the General Meeting, the Board and the Board of Trustees. The Board and Trustees are supported in their work by an administrative office.
The founding members of the competence network are designated by mutual agreement of the Conference of Education Ministers, associations of local authorities and the Federal Government, and appointed by the Board of Trustees. In practice, members can and should be incorporated into the competence network.
The decision to appoint new members is made by the DDB’s Board of Trustees using the following criteria:
- profile in the field of digitalisation, through expertise of national or international significance;
- leadership or valuable contribution to the development of concepts, procedures, tools or standards of national or international significance;
- valuable contribution in a matter of Europe-wide concern.
The General Meeting currently includes:
- Bayerische Staatsbibliothek
- Bibliotheksservicezentrum Baden-Württemberg
- Bremer Landesamt für Denkmalpflege
- Deutsches Filminstitut
- Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
- digiCULT-Verbund eG
- Digitales Kunst- und Kulturarchiv Düsseldorf (d:kult) / Kulturamt der Landeshauptstadt Düsseldorf
- FIZ Karlsruhe – Leibniz-Institut für Informationsinfrastruktur
- Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg
- Max-Planck-Institut für Wissenschaftsgeschichte
- Niedersächsische Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Göttingen, hier das Göttinger Digitalisierungszentrum (GDZ)
- Sächsische Landesbibliothek – Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Dresden
- Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz
The Board represents the competence network and the DDB in the wider world and comprises up to three people and their deputies. It is elected for a term of two years by the General Meeting. Re-election is allowed.
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Hermann Parzinger (also Spokesperson of the Board), President of the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz
- Dr. Klaus Ceynowa, Director General of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek
- Prof. Dr. Gerald Maier, President of the Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg
- Gero Dimter, Deputy Spokesperson of the Board, Vice President Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz
- Dr. Dorothea Sommer, Deputy Director General of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek (Deputy)
- Dr. Nicole Bickhoff, Deputy President of the Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg (Deputy)
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is responsible for supervising the competence network. The DDB Board of Trustees is made up of four members chosen by the Conference of Education Ministers, a further four appointed by the Federal Government with an additional member representing the Association of German Cities and Towns, appointed by the Federal Association of Local Authority Organisations.
The members of the Board of Trustees are:
- Elke Harjes-Ecker, Thüringer Staatskanzlei (Chair)
- Matthias Harbort, Federal Government representative for Culture and Media (Deputy Chair)
- Christina Stausberg, Association of German Cities and Towns
- Erwin Schwärzer, Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community
- Jörg von Wangenheim, Federal Government representative for Culture and Media
- Dr. Malte Welschoff, Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Dr. Thomas Pflüger, Ministry for Science, Research and Art Baden-Wuerttemberg
- Dr. Udo Schäfer, Head of the Hamburg State Archive
- Dr. Ronald Werner, Saxony State Ministry of Science, Culture and Tourism
The administrative office of the DDB competence network is seated within the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz (Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation) in Berlin.
Administrative office Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek
Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz
Prof. Monika Hagedorn-Saupe
Acting Manager of Finances, Law, Communication & Marketing
Dr. Julia Spohr (on maternity leave)
Phone: +49 (0)30 / 266-41 1462
Fax: +49 (0)30 / 266-31 1462
E-mail: m.hagedorn [at] smb.spk-berlin.de